This error may occur if a file that the Windows Product Activation (WPA) requires is damaged or missing. This behavior occurs if one or both of the following conditions are true: A third-party backup utility or an antivirus program interferes with the installation of Windows XP.
You can fix the error 0x80004005 for good by following the given solutions:
Fix 1: Run a System File Checker Scan
The error 0x80004005 might be due to a corrupted system file. As such, the system File Checker, which repairs corrupted system files, might resolve the error.
You can utilize SFC in Windows as follows:
- Open the Command Prompt as an administrator b pressing the Windows key + X hotkey and selecting Command Prompt (Admin).
- First, input DISM.exe/Online/Cleanup-image/Restorehealth To run the Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool in Windows.
- Then run the SFC scan by entering sfc/scan now in the Prompt and pressing Return.
- The SFC scan and might take about 20-30 minutes to complete. Restart your desktop or laptop if the scan does repair a file.
Fix 2: Clean Boot Windows
To ensure there’s no conflicting software (such as anti-virus software), clean boot Windows.
Clean booting Windows will strip down the startup programs and start Windows with minimal drivers. This is how you can clean boot Windows:
- First, open the Run accessory with the Windows key + R hotkey.
- Enter ‘MSConfig’ in Run and click OK to open the System Information window shown directly below.
- Select the Selective startup items option on the General tab.
- Deselect the Load startup items checkbox.
- Select both the Load system services and Use original boot configuration options.
- Select the service tab shown directly below.
- Then click the Hide all Microsoft services checkbox.
- Press the Disable all button.
- Click the Apply>OK buttons to confirm the newly selected settings.
- Press the Restart button on the System Configuration dialog box that opens.
- Then delete, rename, or extract the required folder or file after the clean booting Windows. After that, you can restore Windows to the standard startup configuration via the System Configuration window.
The fixes mentioned above will help you to resolve error 0x80004005. Follow them carefully.