What can I do if the fingerprint reader doesn’t work?
- Download the latest drivers for your fingerprint reader
- Check the power management settings.
- Disable and activate the credential manager service
Download the latest drivers for your fingerprint reader
If the fingerprint reader does not work after you wake up your computer from sleep, it might be time to do driver updates.
To do this task, you basically have to go to your laptop manufacturer’s website, find the latest drivers, and download them.
Check the power management settings
- Press Windows Key + X and select Device Manager from the list.
- When Device Manager opens, look for your fingerprint reader. It must be located in the biometric device section.
- Right-click your fingerprint reader and select Properties.
- Navigate to the Power Management tab and uncheck Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power.
- Click OK to save changes.
If your fingerprint reader doesn’t work after you wake up Windows 10 from sleep mode, you might want to check the power management settings. To do that, follow the steps above.
Most users don’t know what to do when the Windows button stops working. See this quick guide and a step ahead.
Disable and activate the credential manager service
- Press the Windows key shortcut + R to open the Run dialog. Type the service.MSC and click OK or press Enter.
- When the service window opens, find the credential manager service and double click.
- The credential manager property window will open. Open the Service Status section and click Stop.
- After you stop the service, click Start to restart the service.
- Click Apply and OK to save changes.
Sometimes the problem with fingerprint readers can be repaired if you restart certain services.