When outputting a monitor or TV via HDMI from a computer or laptop running Windows 10, 8.1, or Windows 7, sometimes there is no sound, and the error is, this device is already under another application. Use. Please turn off all audio devices on this unit and try again. In some cases a temporary restart solves the problem, sometimes the voice works and then disappears, that is, behaves strangely.
This guide explains how to fix a “device in use” error when playing audio via HDMI, from the factors that can affect the error and additional information that may be helpful about the issue. Information on other similar issues and possible solutions: No sound on HDMI – what to do? Windows 10 sound disappeared.
Easy Ways to Fix HDMI Audio Playback Problem
Here are the basic steps you can take to begin the process of preparation for mediation.
- Press the Win + R keys on your keyboard, type sndvol, and press Enter.
- The volume mixer opens. Check to see if it shows apps you didn’t know were using voice. Turn it off if presented (if the application is running in the background, close it using the Task Manager).
- If the previous steps did not help, go to the list of playback devices. In Windows 10 you can do this with the right mouse button on the speaker icon – sound – playback. In newer versions of Windows 10 (updated May 2019, as of 1903) the path is somewhat different: Right-click on the speaker – Open Sound Options – Sound control in the “Related Options” section.
- Select your HDMI audio output device and click Properties.
- On the Advanced tab, uncheck the Special Format section.
- Apply settings.
If nothing has changed since step 6, restart your computer. It can work.
- Unfortunately, the simple ways to correct a mistake and turn on the sound don’t always work. If they don’t help you, let’s move on to more options.