FIX: MSDTC encountered an error (HR=0x80000171)
MSDTC encountered an error on your PC? No, do not worry, we’ve got the right repair for you. Some Windows users reported getting an error when they turn on WCF-Custom receive location. Errors are usually displayed in this format: MSDTC encountered an error (HR = 0x80000171) when establishing a secure connection with the system.
Microsoft Distributed Transaction Coordinator (MSDTC) allows you to control the transaction coordination between resource managers and applications. Also, while the MSDTC dependent on the underlying network topology components, transactions can span multiple DTC rest of your network.
Solution 1: Enable Network DTC Access
One quick fixes to the problem of error are to enable Network DTC Access to MS DTC transaction. You can do this in the service component. Follow these steps to enable DTC network access:
- Go to Start, type “dcomcnfg” without the quotation marks, and press Enter
- Expand the console tree to find the local DTC (usually located in the Component Services tab)
- In the Action menu, click Properties.
- Select the Security tab and perform the changes:
- In the Security Settings, select the Network DTC Access checkbox.
- In the Transaction Manager Communication, select ‘Allow Inbound’ and ‘Allow Outbound’ checkbox.
- Click OK.
- Restart the service Distributed Transaction Coordinator (MSDTC) afterward.
However, if you still get the error after trying to fix this, you can proceed to the next solution.
Solution 2: Enable a firewall exception for the MSDTC
Sometimes, MSDTC experiencing rapid error caused by the Windows Firewall. Windows Firewall prevents the MSDTC from running on your computer because of the protection against external control.
However, you can get through this ‘wall’ to enable firewall exceptions for the MSDTC. Here’s how to do it:
- Go to Start> type “Windows Firewall” and select “enable applications through Windows Firewall”.
- Click on the “Change Settings” option
- Now, click “Allow another program.”
- On the Exceptions tab, select the checkbox ‘Distributed Transaction Coordinator’.
- Click OK.