Microsoft created one of the best operating system’s in the world that are efficient and surprisingly stable. However, sometimes the new Windows 10 OS tends to show errors during the update such as the update error 0x800f0988. If you are one of those users who encountered this error then follow this guide and fix the error.
How can you fix the update error 0x800f0988?
Reset Windows update components:
• Press the Windows key + X key
• And run the command prompt as admin
• And then type in the following command
net stop wuauserv
net stop cryptSvc
net stop bits
net stop msiserver
Ren C:WindowsSoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
Ren C:WindowsSystem32catroot2 Catroot2.old
net start wuauserv
net start cryptSvc
net start bits
net start msiserver
• Let the command run and then restart your PC
Try Windows Update troubleshooter:
Windows troubleshooter update is a tool designed to eliminate any bugs related to Windows update.
To run the Windows update troubleshooter, follow the below-mentioned steps:
• Fist click Select Start
• Then click Settings
• Now select Update & Security
• Then click on Troubleshoot
• Then select Windows Update under Get up and running, and then select Run the troubleshooter.
Reset Windows 10:
- In the search box type Reset this PC and click OK
- Then click on Reset this PC
- Now, press the Get Started button and choose Keep My Files option
- Then click Next and finally the Reset button
If the article helped you fix the error then, please leave your feedback in the comments section below.